First, I want to give credit to the article that had the solution. I read way too many Stack Overflow posts and watched a lot of YouTube videos while never finding the solution. Here is the original post. Below you will find my updated solution, which uses pretty much the same directions. I fixed a typo, and my focus was to get the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 working rather than 2015.
All of this came up after attempting to install MongoDB for a group. By default Windows Server 2012 R2 does not install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 or 2017. MongoDB needs a DLL from that installation to run.
We found this out when we tried to run mongod.exe and received a message stating:
The program can’t be start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
A few minutes later, we had downloaded the 2015 redistributable and were attempting to install it. That’s when we hit the most worthless error message of all time.
According to the the pop up, this error is unspecified. Really helpful information for us as the end users.
We then tried different versions of installers, the end result for each was them failing with a similar message. Running the installer as an administrator produces a different error, but still never resolved the problem. I followed a bunch of YouTube videos, where I ended up uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, rebooting, and installing again… so on and so forth.
Finally I found the directions above. I proceeded by uninstalling all previous installation attempts, you need to check Programs under Settings for partial Visual C++ installations. Then I did a fresh reboot.
Here is the process you need to follow to get it to work from that point:
- Download update KB2919442
- Make sure to install this before proceeding. You do not need to reboot afterwards.
- You can now run Windows update or manually download update KB2919355
- The original article has 335 as the last three digits, that is a typo.
- Download Page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42334
- Direct Link: https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/5/6/256CCCFB-5341-4A8D-A277-8A81B21A1E35/Windows8.1-KB2919355-x64.msu
- Install the update.
- Now download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017
- Run the installer.
- If you did not remove previous installations, it will prompted at this point to uninstall the previous attempt.