0x80240017 ErrorFirst, I want to give credit to the article that had the solution. I read way too many Stack Overflow posts and watched a lot of YouTube videos while never finding the solution. Here is the original post. Below you will find my updated solution, which uses pretty much the same directions. I fixed a typo, and my focus was to get the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 working rather than 2015.

All of this came up after attempting to install MongoDB for a group. By default Windows Server 2012 R2 does not install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 or 2017. MongoDB needs a DLL from that installation to run.

We found this out when we tried to run mongod.exe and received a message stating:

The program can’t be start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

A few minutes later, we had downloaded the 2015 redistributable and were attempting to install it. That’s when we hit the most worthless error message of all time.

Error 0X80240017

According to the the pop up, this error is unspecified. Really helpful information for us as the end users.

We then tried different versions of installers, the end result for each was them failing with a similar message. Running the installer as an administrator produces a different error, but still never resolved the problem. I followed a bunch of YouTube videos, where I ended up uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, rebooting, and installing again… so on and so forth.

Finally I found the directions above. I proceeded by uninstalling all previous installation attempts, you need to check Programs under Settings for partial Visual C++ installations. Then I did a fresh reboot.

Directions

Here is the process you need to follow to get it to work from that point:

  1. Download update KB2919442
  2. Make sure to install this before proceeding. You do not need to reboot afterwards.
  3. You can now run Windows update or manually download update KB2919355
  4. Install the update.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Now download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017
  7. Run the installer.
    • If you did not remove previous installations, it will prompted at this point to uninstall the previous attempt.
  8. Done!

If you are a Deadpool fan, you have undoubtedly seen the new teaser. The movie Logan had a shorter cut that played before its screening. If you have not seen full version for some reason, you can check it out here:

I personally enjoy identifying the music from the trailers. It was humorous the creators chose to use the Superman theme at the 43 second mark. It seems like a clear nod to their competitors. At this point DC has a lot of catching up to do with Marvel in the cinematic space.

The song you can hear Wade listening to at the beginning, and later plays while he running towards the victim at 2:07, is St Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion) by John Parr. This song was originally recorded to support a Canadian athlete named Rick Hansen and his tour to raise awareness about spinal cord injuries. The fact Wade Wilson (Deadpool) and the actor Ryan Reynolds are Canadian as well might just be a happy coincidence.

The final cheerful song that starts at 2:37, and is part of the fade to black, is from the movie True Romance. The song was composed by Hans Zimmer for the movie. Zimmer’s work is based off a song by Carl Orff & Gunild Keetman called Gassenhauer. Their work is based off an original piece by Hans Neusiedler, who wrote it in 1536. I doubt most listeners would ever realize they are hearing something written  481 years ago. That is probably one of the most interesting aspects of music, how the same song can be played for generations, yet will be tweaked slightly for each time period.

Links to the music on Amazon:

I have finally done it. My WordPress site is now running on a Raspberry Pi 2. The migration of the site was a little concerning to me initially. The entire process should have taken about 10 minutes, but I over thought a few parts.

  1. A new LAMP setup was installed on the Pi. I ran into a few issues, as PHP wasn’t enabled in Apache using the initial method I chose. Lastly, I changed the default port Apache was running.
  2. Next, I had to export my database from my old server. I realized I had forgotten the MySQL database password, and spent time resetting that.
  3. This step was the easiest, I simply had to copy all the actual files out of the previous installation directory and move them to the new directory on the Pi.
  4. Next I had to go back to the new MySQL installation and generate a new user with their own database. Using that information, I had to update the database, database user, and database password stored in the wp_config.php file. Finally, I imported the database that was exported during the first step.
  5. The final step was enabling mod_rewrite for Apache. I had to make some changes to httpd.conf to allow it to work properly, which added time to the process. WordPress wasn’t the only site I moved over, so updating the other virtual hosts filled out the rest of the time I spent.

I can say the whole process was extremely easy, with only the original MySQL password and the mod_rewrite being minor issues.

If you are interested in following the guide I used, you can find it here. Since I was not changing my domain, I did not have to follow the last few steps they have in their guide.